Limited sugar/honey is sufficient for this to work well. The trick is to cook each ingredient just the right amount, by cooking separately. For example keep the carrots and broccoli crunchy.
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (ketchup works in emergency)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or sugar/maple syrup)
- 1/2 head small broccoli , cut into bite size florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 gr firm tofu
- 1/2 small onion , sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger , minced
- soy sauce
Dry the tofu between paper towels. Cut in small pieces and marinate in the tofu mix in a bag. Just before use, drain liquid and coat in cornstarch.
Mix all the ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce in a bowl and set aside.
Boil a bit of water in a pan and cook the brocolli until it reaches the desired texture (1 min). Set aside in the final serving bowl and dry and reuse the pan.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Spread the tofu and cook without disturbing until it runs golden (about 5 min). Flip and repeat on the other side. Set aside in plate.
Heat 1 Tbsp oill over medium heat and stir fry onion until golden (2 min).
Add garlic and ginger and stir a bit until fragnant.
Add the sweet and sour sauce and cooked tofu. Stir gently to mix well with the sauce.
Cook until the sauce thickens (2-3 min).
Pour the tofu and all the sauce on top of the brocooli in the serving bowl. Serve with steamed rice or noodles on the side.